Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What happened to just calling people crazy, plain and simple?

Sometimes in life you feel like you've seen it all. After being a police officer you get a chance to see plenty of crazy things and people. But it always seemed like something new would come along to make you rethink that statement. Well after being paralyzed my eyes opened to a new world. I got to see people fighting to regain as much independence as possible. I have absolutely never heard anyone say they were destined to be in a wheelchair. I've never heard anyone say that they want to be paralyzed. Not until I saw this article posted on a friend's Facebook page today. I know there are several different labels for all kind of psychological problems these days. But what has happened to just plain old crazy? It doesn't take a psychologist to diagnose someone that isn't quite right in the head if you know what I mean.

I normally wouldn't write a reactionary blog entry to something like this, but it really bothered me. It actually surprises me that she was able to make it onto the Anderson Cooper show. I hope he brings on an actual paraplegic to talk about all of the life changes you have to go through. Something you have to be mentally tough to handle every day you wake up. I didn't even try to paraphrase this, because it's so unbelievable. I got this directly from the webpage. I am going to underline the information I got from the website for distinction. http://www.andersoncooper.com/2012/02/24/why-chloe-needlessly-spends-her-life-in-a-wheelchair/#ixzz1noHjOCdN

Why Chloe Needlessly Spends Her Life in a Wheelchair
Monday, February 27, 2012 5:08AM
Chloe joins "Anderson" to describe her Body Identity Integrity Disorder (BIID), a mental condition which has made Chloe believe she needs to spend her life in a wheelchair, despite having full use of her legs.
Chloe believes so passionately that her true self is a paraplegic… that she has even looked for doctors who will sever her spine so that she loses the function of both legs.
"For me this is like a temporary stopgap," Chloe says. "The only thing that will really make me happy in life is to actually be paraplegic."
Chloe says paraplegia will be the fulfillment of her lifetime dream to be completely who she was meant to be.
Take a look…



Now that you've watched the video I'm sure you understand the crazy part a little bit better. I cannot even begin to comprehend this so-called mental issue. He said it best when describing how many people in wheelchairs would love to be walking again. It is like a slap in the face. If you think your shocked now just wait until the next video. I'm going to show you another video and text directly from the website. Once again, I will underline all of the information directly from the website.http://www.andersoncooper.com/2012/02/24/chloe-tries-to-paralyze-herself-on-ski-trips/#ixzz1npGH5qa1"

Chloe Tries to Paralyze Herself on Ski Trips
Monday, February 27, 2012 2:04AM
Chloe, who suffers from Body Identity Integrity Disorder (BIID), says she has wished for nearly her entire life that she was a paraplegic, so much so that when she goes on ski trips, she intentionally gets into accidents in hopes of injuring her spine and paralyzing herself.
Chloe does have a small spinal injury, but she lives her day-to-day life in a wheelchair, which is not physically necessary, but is a result of her mental impulses telling her she belongs in one.
"[Because of my spinal injury], I was told by a surgeon that… if I go skiing again there was a high likelihood that I would re-injure and get complete paraplegia," Chloe says. "And so that's a huge motivation for me to ski very aggressively."
Hear more from Chloe about her hopes to become paraplegic in the video below.



Yes, Cooper she just actually said that to confirm that she is batshit crazy. This lady needs to be taken to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta to see what it's really like to be a paraplegic. She needs to meet people that are struggling to find help with simple tasks. She needs to see people that are struggling to regain any type of movement in their body below their injury level. You don't just get to choose that you become paraplegic. I am a quadriplegic. I can't use my hands. I can use my left arm well enough to be able to drive my wheelchair. I would love to just be able to move both arms and hands again. Obviously, her doctor needs to let her meet several people that are paralyzed.

Well that's about all I want to say about this woman. I really hope that Cooper Anderson decides to do a show with someone that is really paralyzed. I wish he would visit a spinal cord injury hospital, where you can find true heroes. The unfortunate part about television these days is that kind of thing doesn't get the ratings. We would rather watch somebody with this type of disorder. He should really focus on the new tools that are helping people rehabilitate. What about a show about all of the amazing technologies available to assist people that are disabled. If I ever see this woman again she better be running marathons to help support paralysis research or mental disorders. If Anderson won't, you can depend on me writing more about assistive technology. I might throw in another crazy person somewhere along the way ha ha. Leave a comment below and tell me what you think about all of this.



1 comment:

  1. For a rare moment in my life, I am speechless... And it is probably better that I refrain myself from commenting further on this lunatic.

    ReplyDelete